Friday, June 16, 2006

LaVallée's Crêpes

One of my favorite things to in Iowa City during the summer is to have gyros on the Pedestrian Mall in the downtown area. I spend a couple of hours every week just feeding my face and people watching. Two weeks ago I went downtown to do my summer ritual of worshipping at George’s Gyro pushcart stand and Lo and behold I couldn’t find them. There I was going into a diabetic coma because I’ve been starving myself all day just so I could have the gyro with extra tomatoes and diet coke. George was nowhere to be found. Slackers!

Last time I had a crepe was in high school during the late 70’s fad. Ok, I’m game. I’ll try any once and I’m highly in favor of any food you can walk around with, eating with your hands.

I try the Herb Chicken with Swiss cheese. OMFG! This stuff is great. It was light, tasty and made me forget about George. After looking for a diet coke to wash this down I was in crepe heaven. A shared a bite with Technotaz and order him one. Not satisfied with a sample size of one, I order the French Toast crepe. Butter, Sugar, and Cinnamon in a warm triangle folded crepe. Wonderful! George you are in so much trouble. Yesterday it’s another Herbed Chicken and for dessert the Fresh Strawberries and Whipped Cream crepes. I’m going to gain so much weight; I’ll be freakishly fat. I just show up with a forklift.

Today, I’m going to try the Nutella and Bananas crepe. Looks like more penance at the dojo tonight.

Two lovely people, Erin and Amos, run LaVallee’s Crepes stand. Amos spent some time traveling in Europe finally landing a job in a rural part of France as an au pair. There he learned to cook. I must say he has done quite well. Amos then decided to make his way in Iowa City making crepe for people in the Ped Mall. Erin helped bankroll his crepes making dream and they work together as partners. The business is named after a French Cook that mentored Amos and helped him plan suitable goodies for the cart.

An Update.

I missed TKD Tonight, but I did enjoy the Braised Veggie Swiss crepes. As with the other selection I’ve tasted the Braised Veggie was great. The only thing I wanted was some sort of sausage mixed in, but that’s just me the carnivore. I took the whole horde with me. The High Priestess had the Herbed Chicken and I share the Banana & Nutella crepes with the little Techs.

I had the kids roll me to the car.

No comments: