Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Conversation Revisited

I’m shopping at the local mall the other day when I run into one of my former student. This is a normal occurrence, but does not happen that often because I live 50 miles away from where I teach.

I remember this kid as always being late to class and not a nickel’s worth of sense in his head. He always was ten minutes late to class. It was so predictable you could have set your watch by it. Other teachers had the same problem too. (Aside: If you ever wonder if your teachers remember you, here is a test. Did you ever do anything stupid? Forget your pencil for a multiple choice test, show up for your Final Exam 90 minutes late, show up for class on a day the school is closed, offer to buy your teacher a steak dinner if you could pass the class, argue with your ex in the hallway before and after class, fall asleep and snore, dress like a stripper or just be an asshole? Well Ding-Ding-Ding! You’ve won the “I Remember You” prize!) Ok you get the picture, so I have a low opinion of this kid.

Later, I see him window-shopping at the mall with The Angel. Another student I know that is too perfect beyond mere words. If I was 20 years younger, no kids, and not married, I’d be all over her like white on rice. Every paycheck would go to buying things that would make her happy. I’d spend my waking day worshipping various part of her antimony. She is bright, funny and I fancy her in a way that is just not normal. So well the hell is she with this jerk!?! There is no justice or reason in the world!

Once again I know half a dozen men who would be honored to be in her presence, and treat her like the lady. Why Angel? Why date losers?

No comments: