Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Book # 9 – Final Impact by John Birmingham

I’ve been waiting for this book for over a year. It’s not a great book but it’s part of a trilogy that I started reading awhile back. I hate picking up a new book and then finding its’ part of an unfinished set. I like epics, but I hate waiting for the next book to come out. That being said I’m sure I missing some great series that are already completed and out of print, because I over looked them. Sigh…so many books so little time.

Final Impact is an alternate history story of World War II. A 21st century battle group gets sent back to the Battle of Midway. Reminds me of the movie “The Final Countdown” which had the same premise. In this story the ships never go back to the future and the world is left with people with 21st century mindset in the 1940’s. Very Cool. The book is sprinkle with 21st Century Pop Culture. DOH! It’s fun to pick out the little tidbits here and there. The main ship is the aircraft carrier Hillary Clinton, and the AI combat Intelligence center is called “Little Bill”. LOL.

Mostly this is a guilty pleasure book, and the publisher knows it too, since it went straight to trade paperback. I will say John Birmingham has done a lot of research on history, because I had to look up a few things my self: Executive Order 9981.

No comments: