Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dammit!

It's been at least 5 years since I made this mistake. I left my lights on and the car battery was drained while I was at work. I was priding myself on not using my AAA towing/roadside coverage at all last year. Now this has happened. Normally I go to work late enough for the sun to be up and daylight is well underway. However since it's spring break for the kids I can get to work earlier than normal. I Have auto-headlights so I don't pay attention to turn the lights on unless it is dark or foggy. The headlights are always on when driving, and turning on the lights just illuminates the dashboards and activiates the rear lights. When driving at dawn I may need to see the dashboard but by the time I drive into the college parking alot the sun makes everything in the car appear dark. I miss the cue that my light may still be on.
So I come out of work ready to drive home. I hit the keyless entry and nothing. No Happy beep. No flashing lights. No Open door. I think to myself it's about time the watch battery gave out in remote for the car and open the doors with the key. I get in, turn the key, and squat! NO..NO...NO I did not do this. I'll be damned if I go call AAA. How ironic, I'm in a hybrid car with a 600V battery and I can't start the car because of a dead 12 volt car battery. I tried the run and pop trick, but could quite get it to work. It should but I bet I couldn't get the car rolling fast enough. I always loved that trick. My Dad could do it all the time. The manuals for the car implies that popping the clutch should work, but does say exactly how to do it. Now I'm stuck looking for the night mantianance guy, who like to spend his time surfing the web. I get lucky and find him on his smoking break. He grabs the portable jumper. ( The guy or gal who made that deserve to get oral sex every day for the rest of his/her life.) My car starts and I drive home. Quietly kicking myself and my ego.

No comments: