Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Best Thing I Got for Christmas

You seen all the crap I keep in my pockets and book bag: Blackberry, iTouch, PSP, iBook, etc... Each one has a charger and about 6 feet of electrical cord. In some cases I have two charges, one at home and the other for Work/Travel. The only good thing that has happen in the past two years: They are all rechargeable and most business are staring to use the Mini USB styled port. That last one is starting to change back into chaos. I guess the "powers that be" found out that the mini USB made thing to convenient. Poeple started using their computer to charge their phone and one crap. I do it all the time. The computer already on all day, night as well use it for something other than playing Freecell and WoW.

I'm pretty broken up about how many trees I have to kill in the form of coal to charge all my toys. I've been trying to use rechargeable batteries whenever I can, but even those are not the best for the environment. (By the way... all the sex toys run on rechargeable batteries and the line forms to the left ladies. Well except the 220 volt monster I own.)

As I was saying, I been looking for a solar recharger for quite awhile. The Solio Classic charger is one of the best I've seen. You can read the features yourself, but the key is it charges a set of internal batteries so you can use it anytime. When it's sunny you can charge your stuff or the Solio. At night you can plug your stuff in and it will charge your cell phone from the internal batteries. It's darn near perfect. The price is a little high for the basic package (about $80) plus you need special tips for each object you want to charge. I really wish the mini-USB port would just be the standard. Fortunately that's one of the tips I received as well, along with another tip for my iTouch/iPod.

I just charged my Blackberry today and it took about 2-3 hours. That's about normal for hooking it to the computer as well.


Now if I could convince the High Priestess to let me cover the house with solar panels maybe I could off set the electricity use in the lab and the Mancave.

No comments: