Saturday, January 23, 2010

DIYS Gardening Part III

As You may have figured out all this work I did last fall, but I'm writing about it now. After finishing the woods frame I wait until I could get wood planks on sale. I really want 2 by 12 planks, but I could swing the price and stay below $50 a week. These planks are 2 x 10 and they work just as well. The frames give me a nice solid brace for the plank and they raise the planks up just enough to give me an extra 2 inches of soil depth. The ground is uneven so there is some extra room to fill in with dirt. I've got 4 by 4 cedar post in each corner and the planks are attached to thoses. The post are cut at 12 inches so the box formed by the planks stand on stills which gives that extra two inches I was talking about. If you look closely you can see what I mean.

So that is 9 2x10 8 foot planks, and 2 4x4 8 foot cedar posts. Total was around $50. Add in a box of deck screws, and I spent a little over my budget for the week.

The next thing to do is just fill them with topsoil and I'll be ready to tuck theses beds down for the winter.

No comments: