Monday, August 01, 2011


DIYS Gardening: Season 2 - Two Months and Counting

If you are in Iowa you must try growing some corn.  Those of you who know me realize the completely passive approach is not me That's where the Daisy PowerLine 901 Pellet Gun comes in handy.  Now I haven't actually killed anything with the gun, but i have given all the rabbits, squirrels,  birds and other vermits something to think about when approaching my garden.

First, I'm never going to plant from seed again, if I can possible help it.   The only planting that work last year were my sunflowers.  This year my corn and sunflowers are doing well, but my watermelon never sprouted.  Last year I must have spent $5 per plant trying to start them inside before the last frost, only to have them all die after transplanting.


However, I did find the tomato plants I brought last year at the farmer market for $2 a piece have grown like wildfire.  This year I decided to use starter plants for everything.  I have: peppers (green, banana, jalapenos);  Eggplant (Purple Blaze, Little Fingers); pumpkin; zucchini; and tomatoes.  I have gotten mid summer crops from everything expect the pumpkins and zucchini.  I've paid between $2 - $4 for each plant and I'm very happy.  That being said there is only one problem going to the farmer's market: Veggie Envy.


Remember back in high school (or junior high for some) that first gym class with mixed grades?  You are standing with your ninth grade in the locker room with all the upperclassmen and the thought goes through your head:  "Hmmmm....  my zucchini is not as big as everyone elses....  "  (I suppose with the young ladies it goes something like: "Hmmmm  Mary's melons are bigger than mine and Molly's are just Frickin' HUGE.)


I was happy with my banana peppers until my last farmer's market trip.  The High Priestress suggest I use some fertilizer.  So, I've started using a little Miracle Grow with every other watering.

No comments: