Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Gardening and Genealogy

My hobbies take me some weird places.  One of them is cooking.  When you are staring at 20 pounds of tomatoes, and you are tired of freezing, canning, stewing and making spaghetti sauce, what do you do?  Well, find new ways to cook your tomatoes of course!  This also answers the question what to do with all those other vegetables in the garden as well.  I spend my time searching for recipes I would like to try and keep the recipes I like.

Which bring me to the second instance: family reunions and get togethers.  How many times have you been sitting around your great Aunt Bernice kitchen thinking, "OMG, this is the best Sun Drop Carmel Cake I have ever had! I need this recipe before she dies."  A little cold to be sure, but there is some truth to the situation.   Good food can take you back to the past memories of your life.  It would be a shame to lose them.  I amazed how many times when talking to relatives about the past or family history does the subject of food come up.

In both cases, you end up with a binder full of clippings from the newspapers and magazines, hand written notes scrawled on the back of a grocery list, or pages of printed websites.   I've found a wonderful aid for keeping track of all those recipes:  MacGourmet Deluxe

No comments: