Sunday, January 19, 2020

Charlize Theron is an African American

Some time ago a fellow blogger asked me if I wanted to be called an African-American or a Black American.  If I recall correctly I said it depends on the context.  Academic papers, grants, and work I would use African-American.  In less formal seeing I might use Black American.

I take all of that back now.  I am both, but the terms are not interchangeable.

Charlize Theron is an African.  She was born and raised in Africa and has ancestors from African as well.  She was naturalized as an American citizen in 2007.  Hence she is an African-American.  That said, There is NO WAY IN HELL she would be called a Black American.  She is most definitely a White American.  (She is also yummy and delicious, but that another story for the pay-per-view blog)

Being a Black American is fundamentally different than being an African-American.  Being a Black American in the United States means you see this life through a different set of experience.

No comments: