Wednesday, February 23, 2005

ASK A BLACK GUY ANYTHING #3

Squareslant has another question.

She asks, "Do you think the "Black community" treats black women respectful(sic)?"

First, let's get something straight the "black Community" is not made up of just Rappers, Athletes, and Entertainers. As with all communities it is the most vocal and well known that get the media attention. That being said, does that mean Tony Soprano represent the Italian community and how they treat women? The men and women in the black community that show the most respect for women are never in the national media. Colon Powell respects his wife, but you don't see him in the news because of that. Nelly puts women on a dog leash for the Grammy's and suddenly everyone state the Black Community disrespects women.

I don't let Nelly, Pierce, or Kobe off the hook, their actions are horrible, but women on the whole let them get away with it. Ladies, if you want to see rappers change their lyrics and attitudes, stop shaking your booties to their music, stop fawning all over them, buying their CD, and hanging on their every word. (Say it with me ladies...No Respect, No Nookie) Artist like Nelly know they can behave like jerks and their fans eat it up. There is no reason for artist to change if they produce what sell and their fans still pay attention to them. Chuck D., DMX, Stevie Wonder, do not behave this way and they still have fans and make tons of cash.

Lady, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN KOBE ASKED YOU TO HIS ROOM?!?!? Why would a famous married basketball player want you (a 19 years-old girl) to come to his room in the middle night? Is Kobe going to read you passages from the bible? He was going to hump your brain out! If you think otherwise, I have some bridges I need to sell you. Kobe does this shit because he can. We let him get away with it because he can play ball like nobody's business. Look at what happen to Shaq. The decent guy gets sent to another team! What kind of message does this send to young black men.

This is a sore spot with me because I see it all the time. In college, I couldn't get the time of day from my black sisters, but the football players that treated women like shit couldn't beat the ladies off of them with a stick. Before you says this is in my head, let me tell you a story:

I was in a dorm at UW-Madison and five doors down their was a black freshman football player. He uses to spend time in my room hiding from women who wanted to see him. One day he out on a date with another woman, when a girl I know comes knocking on his door. She is wearing three pieces of clothing: short shorts ( No panties), ripped terry cloth sweatshirt 80's style (No bra), and sandals. She knocks on my open door and ask where HE is. "He's Out." I said. She then sits on my bed and cries her eyes out, and explains to me she is dress this way to get his attention back on her. (Yeah, wave your ass in front of the eunuch studying Calculus and cramming for his Quantum Mechanics exam! It won't effect him because he doesn't count as a man anyway!) She leaves, and two hours later HE comes back and pops in to say hi. I tell him who stopped by and he says, "That bitch is crazy. She always bugging me, and a freak too. I had to cut her off, so I could get some rest."

My point... I don't know. Maybe I'm just saying why should men respect women when they behave this way. Why should there be any change? All men should respect their fellow ladies, but it doesn't seem to pay off in anyway you cut it.

I even see this with my own wife, who I love dearly. The worse I treat her the more she wants to hang around me. Whenever I'm kind, caring or loving she doesn't want a thing to do with me. I'm begginning to think women look at kindness as a sign of weakness. Just a thought.

Does this answer your question?

ON the whole I think the "black community" respects women, but it is the poorest example of mankind that make the press.

No comments: