Friday, February 18, 2005

ASK A BLACK GUY ANYTHING

Yippie! MY First question come from Squareslant.

She asked: "When you think of yourself do you think of "Black Guy" or just "Guy"?"

A great question. When I'm home or on the internet I think of my self as just a "GUY". Most people on the internet treat me that way. I think this has to do with the fact that so many of the social cues we take for granted are gone, so most people "fill in the blanks" with their own self image or ideals. Most of the type people assume the person on the other end of the internet is someone like them. ( Close to the same age, social standing, income...Etc) It's quite a shock for most people to find out I'm Black. I get this on the phone a lot too: "You don't sound black"... I digress. At home I do the "normal" stuff guys do, burp, fart, scratch my back with a fork, watch movies with lots of guns and T & A. When I'm out if public I always aware I'm a "BLACK GUY", because that is what the world sees first, especially, in Iowa. Most people would say the world is what you make it and there is some truth to that. However, I have enough personal experience to know that in certain situations people will react differently to you if you are white, black, Asian, male or female. So I have to be aware of my race all the time in public. That's not a bad thing, but it does color everything I do. A similar situation exist along the male/female line. As a guy I generally don't make comments on female coworkers clothing or looks, for fear of harassment. However, I notice women comment all the time to each other or to me about how nice I or they may look today. Every comment can be taken two ways. Being Black at times is a lot like that. I could write a book about this or talk for hours, but I want to answer the question and stay on the point.

No comments: