Sunday, February 20, 2005

Ask a Black Guy Anything Question #2 : Is there a correct "label"? Do you prefer "African American" over "Black"?

One Again Squareslant has ask another good question.

Answer: You are pretty much screwed when trying to apply labels to any group, so I will tell you what I do or prefer. In class I almost always use "Black Americans" when talk about dark skinned people in the United State what I consider myself to be one. I use the term "African American" sparingly usually for someone who is a fresh off the boat ( an immigrant), or when I'm doing any formal writing such as grants, papers, or formal academic work. African American seem more inclusive and seem to work better when deal with Government bodies. However "African American" does always work because some people in African really don't see themselves as "African". Someone from Egypt might technically be an "African", but might look at themselves as a Middle-Easterner. This would be a same for someone from India could be consider an Asian American, but they would never call themselves that. I think they would prefer Indian or Indian American. I'm pretty sure White imagrant from South Africa would freak if you called him an "African American".

Once again personlly I would used "Black American" as a term for people who experiences America from a "black" viewpoint or experience.

I also alway use "Black American" instead of "Black" since depending on context the term "black" can have some negative aspects. However, I have no problem using the expressions "Driving while Black", or "Black Man's Kryptonite".

Does this answer your question?

No comments: