Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Yesterday was lunch with Technowitch Day. It was Hot Dog and Chicken Sandwiches today. It was a hoot, but why eat at 11:15 am. She has only been at school for two hours! I realize how many kids there are in most school and the need to get them through the lunch line as fast as they can. That way the bullies have time to beat up a few kids before the end of lunch recess. Your breakfast barely has time to get out of your stomach before it is replace with a soggy bun and something that passes for cheese. Really! Of course, TW doesn’t seem to mind, because she was with her friends. They spent so much time talking I don’t see how the food disappeared off their plates and down their gullet’s. Now, I didn’t spend all my time throwing macaroni and cheese at my daughter’s friends, I talked with her and met some of her classmates as well. Some Other thoughts did cross my mind however.

First the mix of kids is a lot more diverse, than when I went to school. This is good because when I was in school I was the only black kid, unless the Packers were in town for the season. The lunchroom was pretty quiet, no fight. Come to think of it maybe that’s why the lunch break is so short. Let’s not give the kids time to fight, carry on or raise a ruckus.

Some other thoughts come to me. How can anyone blow up kids? I’m sitting here in a sea of kids. The only things on the kid’s minds are eating, playing, and how they hate their art teacher. How can you justify blowing up kids in playground? How can you justify harming kids in any way?

Second thought: What happened to the good thermoses? TW has a plastic thermos that is lined with Styrofoam. It doesn’t keep anything cold for more than an hour. Who wants to drink tepid milk? My thermo was a glass vacuum jar and it worked just fine. Of course, you couldn’t whack the school bully on the head with it otherwise you would have a cold cup of milk laced with glass shards. Yummy! Maybe the thermoses are made that way today because of the glass milkshake from the days of yore. I bet it is just because the Dairy Producers want kids to buy their milk at school.

Yeah, my mind was wandering while I watch TW eat. She wants me to come again.

No comments: