Saturday, February 04, 2006

Computer Repair
Ok, I’ve been busy. For the past two weeks it has been me just ordering my world. After seeing a show on wireless security and get my new IBook, I’ve been on a mission. I spent the last half in my winter vacation, pulling wire, checking software, running cables, and revamping my own network at home. Then kitchen’s computer starts acting funny and I have to fix that. The school starts up and all the stuff I planned to do over the break never seems to get done. The computer in the physics lab need work too, so one more thing to do. I don’t mind pulling boards and build machine from scratch, but it does start to wear on you. Trying to get one computer to run can be a task, getting several of them to talk to each other is a nightmare. This is especially true if you have mixed platforms and different OS trying to play nice together. Then I have to find drivers for some of the new toys I found, or getting some old piece of software to run all every machine.

Some people work on cars, others knit, some even breed dogs for a pastime. For me, it’s fresh electronic equipment. Nothing beat a hit off a freshly open box from some Asian factory.

Just sold one of my G4 today. It’s like selling your children. I hate letting go of any piece of computing equipment. All my machine are in wonderful working order, but I’d be lucky to get $25 for any of them. I can’t think of anything that doesn’t hold it’s value worse than a computer. How can something be in perfect working order and still be useless? My Power Macintosh G4 400 MHZ was sold at $1600 in 1999 and a just sold it for $400 with a lot of extras. I should learn this lesson: sell your system before it gets too out of date and no one wants it.

Which bring me to my next topic. I need to start build my next generation PC Gaming System. Graphic boards have made another jump from AGP 8X to PCI EXPRESS. I heard ATI has stopped making AGP boards! Over this next 6 months I start buying components and blogging my progress on construction.

I have a few other posts I’ve been working on. Fair warming they may be TMI. So if you have doubts about your sexuality and really don’t want to know what that black guy next to you has been thinking, flee now.

No comments: