Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Building the Perfect Beast; Epilogue

Well the beast is up and running. On a weird note, all my computers have names. A habit I picked up from the physics department. It really made sense after I bought my third computer. My commodore64 was named Celeste. My Amigas were name: Amy and Ana. The Macintoshes were named: Maxine, Celia (she was a Mac Centris 650), Paula (She was a Mac clone by Power Computing.) Then there are the PCs: Diane (DX486), Kathy (K6-AMD), Antonia (Athlon-AMD), etc. I won’t bore you with the rest but I think you get the picture. All the computers in my lab at the college are named after hurricanes and the printer are named after famous scientist: Feynman, Mendel, Copernicus, Fermi, and Newton. It just makes things easier on a network or keeping notes on upgrades. I a little behind in the naming part, with buying/building spurt I had over the last 16 months. I’m thinking Linda for the laptop, Gina and Jenna for the G4s, and the AMD dual Core needs a name. Suggestions anyone?

If you look careful at the picture you can see Antonia sister is running at 106 F. There are two temperature sensors in the case. Each one is attached to a graphics board. Playing World of Warcraft the temperature stay about 115 F. When I play F.E.A.R. The temperature tops out around 145 – 157 F. Work it girl!

I came across a neat book that talk about a lot of the same thing s I covered in this series. You might want to check it out for some fun reading: Build the Ultimate Gaming PC.

No comments: