Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Read Me a Story
I got into a discussion the other around the lunchroom table with some fellow instructors at the college. The subject of reading to your kids came up. I ‘m all for that, but in some ways I have missed the boat. I tried reading “The Hobbit” to them when they were around 5 or 6. I figured it would be perfect reading a chapter a night, but they never took too it. The High Priestess now reads to Technowitch, because TW says I make the stories too scary. I digress. The main point is reading to kids is tricky. There is a narrow window for every kind of book. For me, the book has to be interesting for me to read as well. God only knows how many times I wanted to claw my eyes out after reading the Princess Dairies. I hate insipid stories, or book with the politically correct morals and characters.

I want to post my favorite bedtime books. Theses are the ones that never get old to me and can be quite a bit of fun when read correctly. Present loosely in some sort of age order from young child to pre-teen.

Oh Where, Oh Where? By John Prater (Yes You MUST Sing IT!)
Good Night, Sammy By Cyndy Szekeres
Suppertime for Frieda Fuzzypaws By Cyndy Szekeres
Puppy Too Small By Cyndy Szekeres
If You Give a Pig a Pancake By Laura Numeroff
If You Take A Mouse to School By Laura Numeroff
If You Give a Moose a Muffin By Laura Numeroff
There’s a Hair In My Dirt by Gary Larson
Everyone Poops By Taro Gomi
The Gas We Pass By Shinta Cho
All About Scabs By Genichiro Yagyu
Bunnicula and Bunnicula Strikes Again! By Deborah and James Howe
Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader Series
Take Me Out of the Bathtub By Alan Katz
I’m Still Here in the Bathtub By Alan Katz
The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

By no means is this THE list of books you should read to your children. I love Dr. Seuss and Richard Scary. I grew up with all the books from “Green Eggs and Ham” to “Busy, Busy World”. I’m sure everyone has those books on their short list. Why mention them again and again?

No comments: