Thursday, February 15, 2007

My Workspace.

Yeah, I'm a college professor. I've been in school since I was 3 years-old. I'm a big kid at heart and my workspace reflects that. Let's take a tour.

The pink stuff on the Radiometer (The thing that looks like a light bulb under the lamp.) is silicone putty. Just like silly putty. It's fun to squish into shape when I'm thinking up story problems.

Next to that is a set of Lego's. See my cool 18 wheeler and my John Deere tractor? They serve the same purpose as the silly putty. All this stuff sit on top of my DVD burner. The lamp is there becasue I hate flourencent lighting. Incandecent lighting is warmer and more friendly.

The Angel Teddy bear is one of the several Beanie Babies I have scattered around the office. They all watch me do my work. To the left is my personal laser printer and to the right is my LCD screen. I purchase a lot of my own computer equipment because the college has crap. Yeah the pills are mine too. Tylenol for the headaches from students, and two used pill bottle filled with sand and aluminum pellets.

My Physics groupie sit on my CD rack. I really want to get her a t-shirt that says "I love Physics" or "Please Do Me Now!" I can't quite decide. My Albert Einstein action figure is tacked to my lower bookshelf. You can see some of the other Beanie Babies above him along with a picture of my dad hold my oldest son. The spaceship holds two astronauts and two aliens.

The CD rack hold all my CDROM for my courses. I made most of the labels myself. There is a postcard of Madison, Wisconsin at Lake Mendota. I would love to teach school in Madison! I love that town. Iowa City is a poor man's second choice. I like Iowa City, but I love Madison. I wish I could bike to work everyday and walk in the winter.

This is my desk. It is dark oak made in Vermont. It use to be my father's desk. Once again because the college supply desk is crap. You Can't really see it because of all the crap on the desk. I have never seen any science teacher or scientist with a clean desk. I do all my non-computer work out in the lab room where I can spread out. We can play "I SPY". I spy: A bag of Chocolates, a 1950's Bakalite Light sensor, 2 bottles of Lotion, 2 dragons, 1/2 a reem of paper, two used soft drinks, the robe of a wizard, and the standard of a great country I call home.




Barbie the physics groupie is back with some of my textbooks. The Astronomy book was written by my graduate advisor. The room in the background is the lab. See all the crap on the shelves. I'm a bit of a pack rat, saving everyhting I might find to teach with. Most of the book seen here I've sold back to the book buyers, because I need the space on my bookshelves. I made over $300 last semester, I used the cash to buy my TiVo upgrade. The great thing about that I can find really cool stuff to show my students.




My current new "Toy" my multimedia station for teaching my classes. Very Cool. I've been using my own stuff for years and now along with the new heating system I get this. I can show DVD's, Video, and the internet all from the space I lecture from.

The flowers are mini carnation I gave away to all my female student for Valentine's day. Next to the flowers are chocolate hearts for everyone. Yeah, I'm a big softie. See my UW-Madison coffee cup? I Can't believe I been teaching close to 20 years.

No comments: