Thursday, June 25, 2009


Patterns - As I have gotten older I've started to notice my life falls in to a patterns of behavior: Some good and some bad (Warning Geek Alert)

The latest one I have recognized has a 10 - 12 year cycle.

In 1987 I bought my first Apple Computer a Macintosh SE ( 2 800K Disk Drives /w 1 MB Ram)(about $2500). I wrote my master Thesis on this computer. I spent the next few years upgrading my pet: First it was a external hard drive (20MB for $600); Second more Memory 2MB then later 4 MB; Thrid a Transwarp Accelerator card for $500 (25MHZ 68030 w/ 16 MB of Ram). She was sold to a teacher from Minnesota. We made the exchange in a Hardees parking lot near the Iowa - Minnesota border at twilight around 6 pm. I sold her for $400. (I felt so sad!)

Then there was a series of Amigas, PC, and some Used Macintoshes.

Then in 1997 I bought a Power Computing Macintosh Clone: A PowerCenter Pro 210 for about $3000. She lasted for about five years helping me teach physics to young college students. She had upgrades too, but not nearly as expensive as the MacSE. Apple brought Power Computing just a few month after I brought my Pro 210. I guess someone at Apple wised up and realized they would get destroy if people started making faster and cheaper Mac. I still have her downstairs in the "Lab". She was plugged in until about 6 months ago.

The next ten years I started building all my own PC, and bought Used Power PC Macs. The last used mac I bought was a G5 Mac tower from a Doctor in Iowa City for $850 with a 20 inch Cinema Display, a steal in my opinion.

Early this year I read the handwriting on the wall. Apple will be releasing Snow Leopard in September, an Intel processor only operating system. The days of Universal software (Intel and Power PC) will be number. Even Google and some other Mac developers are writing/compiling code only for the Intel-based machine.

I've been lusting after the newer Intel-mac for 2 year now. Mall security at the Jordan Creek Mall are really getting tried of hearing calling from the Apple Store.

"Pssss..That Black guy is back. He keeps rubbing the Macs on display and mubbling under his breath... "Oooooooo I bet your a hot one, a really fast bitch in heat..."'

Ok...I have some issues....

June 2009
The check clears for my summer teaching load. One week later, Inga arrives at my door: My 64-bit Quad Core Nordic Goddess MacPro Tower. Amanda, My dual core AMD PC is jealous. The AC is up full and both these angels put out some much heat I spend a lot time sitting in my underwear. (OK, that may be TMI) I suspect this winter I will be able the close the heating vent in the room and still stay warm.

My pattern? Every 10 years buy a New Macintosh...





patterns by Devo

Patterns all around you
patterns everywhere
patterns of behavior
sometimes seem unfair
can you recognize the patterns that you find?

Patterns unfamiliar
patterns lead you through (to)
patterns of discovery
tracing out the clues
can you recognize the patterns that you find?
stuck in your mind

In this land where stability is hard to find
you can rearrange the patterns so unkind
don't bother asking why a pattern never cries
old patterns never die they just go on and on

Patterns multiplying
re-direct our view
endless variations
make it all seem new

No comments: