Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Book #11 – The brief History of the Dead By Kevin Brockmeier

I picked up this book while wandering through a bookstore in downtown Des Moines. I was taking a break from a conference, and I didn’t feel like sampling the local color or visiting the local houses of ill repute. I should never good into a bookstore with cash in my pocket!

I started reading this book in the store. I put it down, and then picked it up again. I hate walking by something I might not see again.

The book is not bad, but it is dark and depressing. What does it mean to be dead? What happens when everyone who ever remembers your existence dies? What happens when the last person on the planet dies?

Once again, the reason why this book disturbs me is the method of the end of the world. I can so see it happening. Humans are dumb enough to try something this stupid.

No comments: