Saturday, September 12, 2009

I hate it when salespeople lie. It makes me want to start kicking their ass.

I at the Verizon Store in the Coral Ridge Mall paying my bill. (Full disclosure: Yes, I've been a Verizon customer for many years now, and I'm happy with the coverage area and that's about it. In the past 18 months I've gone through 5 Blackberry curves, three of those in the last six months.)

I overhear this conversion between a Verizon Salesman and a Potential Customer.

Customer: "I have a Verizon account and I'd like the add my daughter to my service. She would daughter would like an iPhone. Do you have anything like that?"

VZ Salesman: "Yes we do, it's a Blackberry Curve!"

(Lie number 1: The Blackberry Curve is nothing like an Iphone. As much as Verizon wishes it were true, it's not even close.)

I choke at this point and say and tell the clerk helping me that's so not true. She shrugs.

Customer: "She has seen that (The Blackberry), but she really likes the Iphone and thinks it's cool."

VZ Salesman: "This does everything the iPhone does and more. It's has an Apps Store just like the iPhone. Beside the iPhone doesn't have a camera."

(Bullshit! I almost scream across the room. I really wish I could have gotten the woman's name because she needed truthful information right now. The last statement was full full of lies and half-truths it just pissed me off.)

(Lie #2 (not direct but implied) The iPhone and the Blackberry Curve both have a GPS unit. The verizon version of the Blackberry Curve have the GPS disabled. This makes the VZ customer purchase the VZ Maps app to get the same functionality the iPhone has. That's $10-$20 a month extra.)

(Lie #3 (Half-truth) The Blackberry World App store is nothing like Apple's iTune store, but it is a store. Apple apps run from free to $40, withthe average price being $1-$3 per applications. Blackberry's apps run from free - $70, with the average price being about $5-$6 per application. Blackberry most common apps start pricing at $4.99, where Apple's are at 99 cents. I have used the Blackberry store and It's a pain in the ass to navigate and not nearly as polished as the iTunes store.)

(Lie #4 (Half-truth) The 1st gen model of the iPhone lack a camera, however it is now standard on all current models. If this woman got an iPhone, it wouldn't be a used two year old model.)

I could go on, but the main point is the VZ Salesman was a Douchebag. I had to leave before I really blew my top.

If the Blackberry is so good, why is Verizon desperate to get their hands on an agreement with Apple? Rumor has it that Verizon will get the iPhone late 2010 or early 2011. I just hope they don't fucked the iPhone with all the hamstring cutting they did to the Blackberry Curve.

If it weren't for Verizon better coverage in Eastern Iowa, I would so drop my plan and get something with an iPhone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This person knows nothing. Heck, the Blackberry Storm is closer to an iPhone than the Blackberry Curve.

Technomage said...

Lisa! Thanks for reading!